Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Entering Autumn

The season of my life is changing.

I'm not much of a country girl, at least not yet. My view of autumn has been mostly of falling leaves and the crispness of the air as the weather changes. But today I've been thinking more about the harvesting that occurs with autumn. Grammy has brought in her hay for the cows. Others are harvesting apples for cider and pies. And critters are putting away their horde of nuts for winter. What am I harvesting as I enter the autumn of my life?

I've been planting, watering, weeding, and pruning for 18 years. Beautiful fruit has grown and is ready for the harvest! I look back over the years and remember.... My Autumn Rain was only four when we welcomed our fourth child into our lives. I thought I would never sleep again! Then Ladybird and Moonchild joined us. We were into the thick of homeschooling by then. I couldn't imagine a life beyond babies and books. Now, on this side, I wish I'd been able to relax and enjoy the journey - one day at a time.

Now here is autumn slowly creeping up on my life. My oldest is voraciously devouring her new found life at the university. The next in line is busily perparing herself to begin her college days next year. My oldest son has got his first job and dreams of going to Cal-Tech someday. Another son is beginning his high school years. Fancy that, they are growing up as quickly as they arrived in my arms!

The harvest is ripening. And though it will be a few years yet until it is all gathered in, I know how quickly these years will pass! I want to glean the joy of this season.

1 comment:

Thankfulmom said...

I too wish I had relaxed and enjoyed the early years of motherhood more. True, it was exhausting, but sweet as well. I am now enjoying being an older mom who does know how fleeting these early years are. I can't wait to have more babies in my life.