Thursday, March 27, 2008

Happy Birthday, Autumn Rain

I was 20 when we welcomed the Autumn Rain into our lives, the very beginning of our beautiful family. Now she's turning 20 herself! Once again, I pause to wonder where those years have flown.

Years so full of dreams and big ideas. Years so full of stories and song. Years so full of love and learning. Wonderful years of being mom to my little girl.

Now she's grown up and ready to explore the world on her own. Come Monday she'll board a plane and fly away for her adventure in Germany. I won't know when she goes to bed at time or if she made it to class safely. I won't know who she'll be spending her free time with or when she plans to be home. But a lovely and responsible young lady has replaced my little girl and I know that she's going to be just fine.

For today we'll celebrate. In fact we've already begun with the trombone "Happy Birthday" greeting. We'll spend the afternoon enjoying the art museum and come home to savor Williamsburg Orange Cake and open gifts. And we'll ignore the fact that Monday is only 4 days away.

1 comment:

Adrielle said...

Happy birthday dear cousin! I thought I was the only one allowed to grow up! Aunt L.'s post brings a sentimental tear to my eye as I recall hugging her tummy when you were inside it and declaring that she had been pregnant for a whole year and that you would never come out! :) Then I picture you as a little baby getting your picture taken and crying your eyes out until "My Riah" saves the day by jumping up and down to jingle the coins in his pockets and make you smile! And I could go on and on with a host of happy memories of time spent growing up together. You aren't just a cousin- you have always been and always will be one of my best friends! Adrielle