Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Going on a Journey

Summer is hovering very closely on the horizon of our days and with it comes a change of pace. To keep us moving along in our Learning Life this summer, my younger children and I will be journeying through Ann Voskamp's A Child's Geography.

The journey has actually already begun and so far has been a joyful excursion. I'm not generally a hands-on sort of teacher or learner, really I'm more the read-aloud sort, but while the pressure of other school work is low I thought I'd try to do as many of the included (although not required) activities as possible. And so as the children have been busily building globes and scrapbooking this adventure, I've been busily snapping shots of our travels to share with you.

The Paper-Mache Globes

Shaping globes


Hanging out to dry


Drawing the continents


Painting the globe


Adding the finishing touches


Proudly displaying the finished globe

We'll be sending you postcards of our journey all along the way....so keep your eyes on this postbox.

3 comments:

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

I am so grateful that you forwarded this link! Can I travel this summer with you?! What a grand vacation!

I anxiously await your next postcard!

Oh, the places you'll go!
Warmly,
Ann V.

Lori said...

Ann, thanks so much for this delightful study of His world. What a rich summer we are going to have! We'll be in touch throughout the journey.
Living and learning,
Lori

Anonymous said...

How cool. I love to do hands-on things and if it's educational, so much the better.

I think I'll see if kadie, Samantha and Emily would like to make a paper mache globe with me.

I'm off to the library today to see oif I can find this book.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and "travels" with us.

Love susan