Sunday, March 19, 2006

What are you looking for?

Today we visited our 8th church in this process of finding a new place to call home. We've been to the "mega" church, the "no babies allowed" church, flashy churches, tiny churches, "mostly homeschool families" churches, churches with bands, churches that sing hymns....we've covered the full gammet and still we hunt for that place to belong in this new life we've begun.

This morning we attended a class for newcomers, we were the only newcomers so we had the attention of the pastor, his wife, and three elders to ourselves. A great opportunity to learn about the church, ask our questions, get to know the leadership, and introduce ourselves. We told about our family, our jobs, our church search. We learned the history of the church and what led each of those sitting there to this particular church. Then the question was asked, "What are you looking for in a church?". We glanced at each other briefly before Shannon answered, that it's like looking for a house (which we've done plenty of)...we'll know when we find it.

The question hung with me as we collected the children from sunday school and entered the service. What are we looking for in a church? We've given up on finding the house we were looking for and are having it built to suit. That isn't much of an option for finding a church! I realized sitting there that I won't find what I'm looking for.

For several years now I've attended a church that was not what I was looking for. I don't really believe that where I worshipped on Sunday morning was my church family. Instead my church family were the people I gathered with two Sunday afternoons a month. The families we broke bread with, fellowshipped with, and studied God's word with. The families who shared our joys and helped us through the valleys, who danced with us, sang with us and cleaned with us as we moved from our home. They represent the body of Christ to me.

I can't reproduce that church family. Nor do I want to. I want to treasure the memories that have been shared. I do want to find a new family here. We need the fellowship, the opportunity to serve, and a place to corporately feed on God's word. I need to change my expectations and wait upon the Lord, He knows my today and my future. He know what we've had to sacrifice in this move. I am comforted by the words of Jeremiah 29:11 "I know what I am planning for you, says the Lord. I have good plans for you, not plans to hurt you. I will give you hope and a good future."

We are blessed to have experienced the love and friendship of this unique body of believers. We look forward expectantly to seeing what God has in store for our future. So, what am I looking for? The place God wants our family to be...and we'll know when we find it.














You are the Body of Christ to me!

4 comments:

Di said...

Oh, Aunt Lori, you make me cry! What beautiful thoughts, and what a beautiful picture. You know that all your California family is praying fervently for you to find the right place....and we know the Lord will provide it. Now, we're still struggling with the fact that the right place isn't *here* any more...

I was delighted to see the MamaBlogger alert on Autumn Rain...and I will be eagerly reading this blog to see what my dear auntie is thinking, experiencing, and learning.

Much love to you,
Madelaine
(posting from Mama's blog)

eph2810 said...

Oh, what a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on God's sovereignty.

Anonymous said...

((HUGS)) Finding a church home is no easy task. I know God has the right place in mind and will reveal it in His time.

Thank you for being a part of the Carnival this week!

Deb said...

Hi, Lori! I found you on the Carnival this week. We, too, are looking for a new church home, and are mourning the loss of our old church family. I know the agony you're going through. I've decided that God is painfully teaching me that my true church family will be when we all get to heaven and worship and praise God there.