Friday, April 21, 2006

Our Bit of Earth


"Might I," quavered Mary, "might I have a bit of earth?"....

"You can have as much earth as you want," he said. "You remind me of some one else who loved the earth and things that grow. When you see a bit of earth you want," with something like a smile, "take it, child, and make it come alive."

The Secret Garden, by Francis Hodgson Burnett



This "bit of earth" is now officially ours! And someday soon, this will be the view from our living room. I can hardly wait to make it come alive with the sounds of our family, living and learning on our bit of earth.

Spring Grass
by Carl Sandburg

Spring grass, there is a dance to be danced for you.
Come up, spring grass, if only for young feet.
Come up, spring grass, young feet ask you.

Smell of the young spring grass,
You're a mascot riding on the wind horses.
You came to my nose and spiffed me. This is your lucky year.

Young spring grass just after the winter,
Shoots of the big green whisper of the year,
Come up, if only for young feet.
Come up, young feet ask you.




No comments: